Page 1Page 1clockclosePage 1facebookPage 1Page 1linkedinPage 1Page 1searchsearchtwitterPage 1must-bg
Exhibition

Rooms with history

The refectory and the dormitory

01. Jan 2017 - 01. Jan 2025

In the refectoy the monks ate two meals a day. Normal conversation was prohibited – only Bible reading and singing were allowed. Originally, the large east window the only source for daylight. The only entryway was from the cloister garden. The other windows and doors were added in the 1700s.

The barrel-vaulted ceiling was built in the same way as was a bridge. First, a strong wooden scaffolding with a curved central portion was erected. Stone and lime-mortar were then laid atop it. By the time the last stone (keystone) was put into position in the middle of the vault, the ceiling would have been self-supporting and the scaffolding and scaffolding could be removed.

The dormitory became living room

When Christopher Garmann (1720 - 1779) was appointed fogd (tax collector) for Ryfylke in 1749, he took over from his parents the management of the monastery buildings and the farm and began an extensive renovation project. In recent years, architects have tried to re-create the Garmann rooms by using original doors, mouldings and colours. Back when this was a monastery, however, this part of the building would have been a dormitory.

Here you can find portraits of Christopher Garmann (1720-1779), his second wife Cecilie Catharine Garmann nee Widding (1734-1759), and his parents Karen Garmann nee Frimann (1683-1770) and Johan Garmann (1675-1730).

Garmannstuene.-Lene-B.-F.JPG#asset:317